Monday, March 25, 2013

10 Fruit Sweetened Deserts!

I can't think of anyone who wouldn't benefit from expanding their arsenal of deserts sweetened only with fruit!  The nice thing about paleo friendly deserts is that, unless they have eggs, they are most often vegan as well, so many of them fit on almost any diet.  Most of these are super easy as well, so you have no excuse to give in to your sweet tooth with processed junk!

I've noted after the title of each one if it is vegan (V) or autoimmune (A) friendly.




Paleo Mug Cake - You heard it right, it's a mug cake, and it's paleo!  The first time I made it exactly as written with almond butter and it stuck pretty bad to the mug.  The next time I tried it with sunflower seed butter and it popped right out of the mug neatly, as pictured above.  I'm not a big fan of using microwaves, but sometimes it's so convenient.  I'm sure this would also work in muffin tins.

Avocado Banana (Chocolate) Pudding (V) (A if you leave out the chocolate) - This, and the banana "ice cream" are my absolute go-to deserts that kids love.  I've only made the chocolate one, and I found it needed more banana for sweetness, so now I do 2 bananas to 1 avocado and it's perfectly delightful!

Apple Sauce (A/V) - The first time I made apple sauce, I tried it without adding anything and was amazed that it was just apples.  It has a wonderfully buttery texture (for lack of a better descriptor) that you just don't get from store bought apple sauce.  I made mine with peeled apples, but you can keep the peels in as well.  I've also tried apple crumbles with a nut or seed flower mixture on top.

Paleo Everyday Cookies (V) - These are awesome!  They come from the "Eat Like a Dinosaur" book, which is a great resource for kids.  Since I seem to do better with nuts than seeds, I tried this with sunflower seed butter and pumpkin seeds.  They were a bit green, but tasty.  My nephew said they looked like something unappetizing, but then ate it up and asked for more!

Banana "Ice Cream" (A/V) - This is about as simple as it gets.  Freeze a banana, and put it in the food processor.  I like to add cocoa powder and frozen cherries!



Paleo Crepes with Banana - I tried this last weekend and it was pretty tasty, but I'm still not sure about eggs.  I might try adding a little more coconut flower next time so it's less egg-y and more flour-y.  It worked well with banana and nut or seed butter (if not autoimmune).

Fruit Rolls (V/A) - This is the one thing I haven't tried making yet, and I don't know why.  I guess it's because we like plain old dried fruit just fine, and it's one of the few fruit only sweetened deserts you can buy at the store (outside of fruit itself of course).  Still, it's a convenient thing to have handy.

Raw Truffles (V) - There are all kinds of raw date sweetened truffles out there that are good for a sweet tooth and a good compromise on sugar.  I'd go easy on them, but they are nice on occasion.

Macaroons (V) - This is similar to the raw truffles, but with coconut.  You could use carob powder to make it autoimmune friendly. I've also tried ones with fruit and coconut oil, but they needed a little honey to hold it together.

Fruit Popsicles (V/A) - These are great to have on hand in summer!  I just threw in whatever fruit I wanted in the blender and froze.  I added some veggies to mine according to color.  I believe the ones pictured included one that with avocado banana chocolate pudding, one with strawberries, banana, apples and carrot, and one with apples, banana and kale. Just make sure the veggies are good and blended so they aren't in chunks.  Fruit in chunks can be a fun surprise!





No comments:

Post a Comment